Getting Started with Figma (4h) + Course Project
A beginner's to pro course in UI design with Figma
This course is a comprehensive introduction to Figma from absolute beginner to advanced features. Short and focused, providing you with all you need to know to tackle any design.
We'll start from scratch by setting up your Figma account and familiarising ourselves with its file structure. Then, we'll dive into the fundamentals of Figma, such as setting up frames and nesting them, adding shapes, text, colours, and grids creating solid UI designs. Once you're comfortable with the basics, we dive into more advanced subjects like creating solid UI designs and working with components for reusable elements.
You'll learn how to establish styles and variables for consistency, create responsive designs with auto layout, and add basic prototyping to bring your designs to life—always keeping collaboration with development in mind.
With step-by-step exercises and valuable tips and tricks, you'll become proficient in Figma in under 4 hours. It's perfect for beginners or those transitioning from other design software.
- What Is Figma? Who does the coding?
- Getting Figma - Registration Process
- Figma in the Browser vs. Figma App
- The Figma file browser – Figma's home
- Creating design files in Figma
- Adding frames to our file
- A few handy shortcuts
- Design file overview
- Adding shapes and colour
- Size menu – manipulating shapes and frames
- Align, tidy up, and measure
- Adding and working with text
- Nesting frames – The Figma superpower
- Frames vs Groups
- Designing with nested frames
- Re-usable grids with styles
- Figma Community and Plugins
- Adding images
- Drawing in Figma
- Scaling in Figma
- Course Project: Creating a wireframe and first design
- Re-use elements with components and instances
- Overriding instances
- What to override and what not to
- Reverting components and overrides
- Nest components
- Component sets with variants
- Move components to their own page
- Keeping components organised
- Advanced component features introduction.
- Course Project: Turning our design into components
Variables and Styles
- Introduction to variables
- Working with colour variables
- Organising with variable collections and groups
- Size and spacing variables
- And what about styles?
- Typography and styles
- Documenting variables and styles
- Course Project: Adding colour variables and text styles
- What is auto layout?
- Adding auto layout
- Auto layout components and variables
- Resize settings
- Auto or space between
- Nesting auto layout with system
- Absolute positioning
- Auto layout pages
- Constraints in Figma
- Constraints and grids
- Which frame size should I use?
- Course Project: Testing our app on different phone sizes
- Prototyping in Figma
- Setting scroll behaviour
- Connecting screens
- Dropdown menu with overlays
- Animation types
- Interactive components
- Figma Mirror – Preview on your device
- Course Project: Turning our app into a clickable prototype
Sharing with other designers and developers
- Sharing and inviting others
- Setting up a thumbnail
- Shared team libraries in Figma
- Setting up a shared team library
- Connecting to a shared team library
- Updating shared team libraries
- Sharing design, components, styles, and variables
- Dev mode: Sharing with development
Take full course
Join the Newsletter
Sign up and be the first to know about new releases, workshops, and articles.